I find when working with clients who don’t enjoy cooking, it can be difficult to find ideas that don’t include cooking!
Something I also notice with clients is variety can be lacking. This is so normal! But it can also be frustrating. I get frustrated by it too. It is a full mix of emotions!
We know why variety is important, but how do we actually do variety!? I usually suggest to start with one item you like and try to think of other ways you might like this item. So let’s say, you eat sandwich everyday for lunch. The sandwich has turkey, cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomato. However, you are going on week 3 of this lunch and it is starting to get a bit boring. So how can we add in variety? I would suggest trying a different sandwich idea vs. trying to think of a whole new lunch idea.
See how we took that small step? It is all about those small changes and steps in recovery or healing our relationship with food vs. trying to make big changes.
Here are some creative sandwich ideas to get you started!
- Pesto Chicken Sandwich: Chicken, pesto, tomato, arugula, and mozzarella cheese on toasted white bread
- Cinnamon Apple Sandwich: Granny smith apple, gruyere cheese, thyme, placed on a toasted cinnamon-raisin bread
- Bacon & Ranch Wrap: Avocado, tomato, bacon, ranch, tortilla
- Salmon Sandwich: Fresh vegetables (spring mix, tomatoes, etc.), mayo, Dijon mustard, salmon, parmesan cheese
- Italian Sandwich: salami, fresh mozzarella, sweet roasted red peppers, basil leaves, olive oil
- Vegetable Sandwich: hummus, your favorite veggies, on toasted bread or in a wrap
- Pretzel Bun Sandwich: Chicken, Mozzarella, avocado, tomato, red onions, honey Dijon mustard
- Club Sandwich: swiss cheese, deli turkey, bacon, spinach, avocado, tomato slices, served on toasted bread
- Chicken Salad Sandwich: Chicken, mayo, slivered almonds, celery, halved grapes, black pepper, and romaine served on a croissant
Let us know if you try to make any of these to try and mix up your routine and add in some variety!